Help/Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
I submitted a story, but it didn't appear in the archive. What's going on?
Unlike archives such as Fanfiction.Net and MediaMiner.org, Dragonfayth is a moderated archive. This means that when you submit something to Dragonfayth, it is first read and approved by the site administrators or a moderator.
If the fic does not fit the site guidelines, it will be rejected.
If the story generally fits, but needs some editing, the site administrator will commit those edits and validate the story for you. It is up to you as the author whether you choose to accept those edits and keep your story posted or not. (Most edits are extremely minor, and involve only spelling, grammar, formatting, or rating changes). If your story has been edited or beta-read, YOU MUST keep the credit given to the beta-reader in your story or chapter notes. Failure to comply with this will result in your story being deleted from the archives.
I forgot my password! What do I do now?
To recover a lost password, click here and enter the e-mail address with which you registered. Your password will be sent to you shortly.
What kinds of stories are allowed?
See our Submission Rules.
How do I contact the site administrators?
You can e-mail us via our contact form.
How do I submit stories?
If you have not already done so, please register for an account. Once you've logged in, click on Account Information and choose Add Story. The form presented there will allow you to submit your story.
What are the ratings used on the site?
We use the ratings system from www.fictionratings.com. Please take care when selecting ratings for your story. If you use the warnings of Language, Sexual Content, or Violence, YOUR STORY MUST NOT BE RATED K or K+! Stories containing those warnings should be AT LEAST rated T. Stories with Character Death may be rated K or K+, depending on story content, and final rating decisions are solely those of the moderators or site administrators. Dragonfayth may add other warnings at a later date, which will affect which ratings are allowed for which type of story (i.e. if we add a "Drug Use" warning, then we will establish rules about what the minimum rating is for a story containing that warning).
|FictionRatings.com||MPAA||What It Means|
|K||G||Suitable for all ages|
|K+||PG||Suitable for ages 8+|
|T||PG-13||Suitable for ages 13+|
|M||R||Suitable for ages 16+|
|MA||NC-17||Suitable for ages 18+ ONLY!|
YOU MAY NOT alter the rating and simply remove the warning; if a story contains ANY questionable content (i.e. the things we have warnings for), it MUST have a clearly labeled and appropriate warning selected from our list. If you think your story may have some questionable content and are not sure which warning/rating combination you need, or if you think a new warning should be implemented, please use the Contact Us form to get ahold of the site administrators and let us know.
What are the story classifications?
Stories are classified by categories (the arcs in the Yu-Gi-Oh series), genres (for example, Romance, Angst/Tragedy, Comedy, Drama), types (oneshots, songfics, etc.), and warnings (Language, Sexual Content, etc.). Your story MUST be properly classified in order to be validated and appear on the site.
What is the difference between a chaptered story and a series?
A story whose chapters are all tightly interconnected should be uploaded as a chaptered story. For example, if event A happens in Chapter 1 of your fic, and event A is later referenced in Chapter 2, then you should upload both Chapters 1 and 2 two ONE story, not a series. However, if each "chapter" of your story CAN stand alone as a oneshot, but they can be part of a larger whole (or if, for example, they are all responses to a particular themed challenge, such as 30kisses), then you can make them a series. Please exercise caution when creating Series fics!
What are 'Story Types'?
Many people like to read a story of a specific genre (for example, Romance), but they might also like to read a story of a particular Type, such as a shortfic, a crossover, or an alternate reality. The Story Types that Dragonfayth employs are as follows:
- Fusion - A story that blends elements of both the Yu-Gi-Oh canon and another show. For example, if Anzu is a Vampire Slayer, that fanfic is probably a Fusion of Yu-Gi-Oh and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. You should indicate what show your story is a fusion of in the Author Notes.
- Remix - A remix, or "doujinfic" is a fanfic BASED off someone else's fanfic. You must have obtained permission from the original author before submitting this type of fic to Dragonfayth, and you must clearly indicate the name and author of the original fanfic.
- Shortfic - A shortfic is just what it sounds like-- a short fanfic. A shortfic can be a drabble, a double drabble (with a specific word limit), a oneshot (a single chapter or standalone story), or a variety of other things. The main point is that it is NOT part of a larger, chaptered story. However, stories in a series CAN be shortfics, if they stand alone individually, and can be read separately and in no particular order.
- Alternate Reality - For the purposes of this site, an Alternate Reality, or AR, is a story that takes place during a canonical arc of the Yu-Gi-Oh series, but the events are severely altered from the original. For example, a Duelist Kingdom AR would be "What if Yuugi didn't beat Pegasus in their final duel?" The fanfic that tells that story is a Category: Duelist Kingdom and Type: Alternate Reality story. Please note the difference between an Alternate Reality-Type story and an Alternate Universe-category story!
- Songfic - A songfic is any fanfiction that uses or was inspired (in full or in part) by the lyrics or melody of a song. You should give proper credit to the original artist/band of the song, and be sure to mention the title of the song as well (in your Author's Notes). It is NOT necessary to include the lyrics, unless they are part of the narrative and/or the dialogue in your story.
- Crossover - A crossover is any fanfic that uses characters from the Yu-Gi-Oh canon AND at least one other canon. For example, if the cast of Yu-Gi-Oh were to meet the Sailor Senshi from Sailor Moon, that would be a crossover fanfic. Please note the difference between a Remix and a Crossover! A story can be BOTH!
We are open to suggestions regarding new Story Types. Please use the Contact Us form linked on the bottom of every page if you wish to suggest a new Story Type.
It is possible that your story will NOT fall into any Story Type; it is fine to leave the Story Type field blank when you are adding your story. However, if your story DOES have one or more Types that suit it, please be sure to choose them, so that people can find your story easily! The Administrators reserve the right to Add or Remove a Story Type if they feel it fits your story. If a Story Type has been added to your story that you do not think is appropriate, please contact an Administrator and they will discuss the matter via private email or chat.
I see an option to have a profile image. How do I take advantage of that? What are the rules regarding profile images?
In the text box on your Edit Bio page, you must type in a complete URL (including the http://) to an image. It should NOT be hosted on a space that you do not own or maintain in some form or fashion. For example, PhotoBucket, LiveJournal Scrapbook, or your own domain are okay; direct-linking to someone else's webpage or to a host that doesn't allow direct-linking (such as free hosting services Geocities and Angelfire) is not allowed.
Images must be in good taste-- that means no nudity or pornography of any sort, no foul language, violence/gore, bashing of ANY kind (real person OR fictional character), and so forth. Images should also be of an appropriate size-- they shouldn't dominate your bio. Administrators reserve the right to delete or modify images that are in bad taste or are excessively large.
DO NOT USE YOUR STORY IMAGE UPLOADS FOR YOUR PROFILE IMAGE!
On your Account Info page, you will notice the option to Manage Images. You may upload up to 5 images at a time, not exceeding 1024 x 768 pixels. These images must ONLY be used in your stories (for example, appropriate fanart for your story, or a masthead for a particular story, series, or chapter). DO NOT use this space for your profile image; the space will be deleted.