Standards of Quality
Dragonfayth Standards of Quality
Why we have standards of quality: Dragonfayth is not a public archive in the sense that every story that is submitted here is immediately accepted and posted. This is a privately-owned and operated site, and as such, submissions are subject to moderator approval. Because the owner and moderator(s) seek to include the best of the best Azureshipping fanfiction, only quality work will be considered for inclusion in the archive. Every story is given equal opportunity to be considered and all stories and all authors are subject to these Standards. They exist with the hopes that people will read and abide by them, and ensure that what they submit to the archive is the very best work possible.
Stories that do not meet these Standards are subject to rejection/deletion from the queue and/or deletion from the archive (if already posted)!
- All stories must use appropriate grammar, spelling, and formatting. This is already established in the Submission Rules, but the moderators are willing to let a few simple errors slide. But if repetitive mistakes will not be tolerated! The mods do not have time to check every single submission for errors, let alone the kinds that a spellcheck won't find (such as homonyms like there/they're/their and your/you're). Grammar includes proper formatting for dialogue. Sentences that involve speech should always start on a new line (each new speaker gets a new line), and dialogue with attribution should look like this: "What do you mean," Téa asked, looking perplexed. "I have to spell-check?"Punctuation should come BEFORE a closing quote. If you plan on attributing dialogue (telling the reader WHO said those words, and possibly HOW they said them), then make sure to use a comma, NOT a period, and only capitalize the next word if it's a name or other proper noun. PROOFREAD YOUR STORIES!
- Stories MAY NOT use Fangirl Japanese. I don't care what you call it, but if there's an English word for it, you don't need to use Japanese in your story. The ONLY exceptions are for words/phrases that do not exist in English; for example, honorifics, tongue-twisters, or imported words, such as "sushi," and "kimono." Very few exceptions to this rule will be allowed, so it's best to err on the side of caution and NOT use Japanese words AT ALL!
- If you intend on using the Japanese character names, stick with them. Name mixing-and-matching or mangling will not be tolerated. If you use "Anzu," I expect to see "Yuugi" and "Jounouchi," not "Yugi" and "Joey." You do not get to take artistic license with canon, let alone one that you really have no license over. Besides, it just confuses the readers. You do not have to use honorifics if you use Japanese names, but you are not allowed to mix Japanese names with dub ones. The only exception to this rule is for Malik, Isis, and Pegasus, and that's only because the dub/translation of the manga mangled those names in the first place. Further, if you intend on using dub names, make sure you type them out properly! Half of the Azureshipping is Téa, not Tea. If you need instruction on how to get an accented-e character, please look it up! It is usually called an "e-acute" and all word processors and HTML programs can do it. Most computers even have a keyboard shortcut for it! SAYING YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW OR CAN'T DO IT IS NOT AN EXCUSE. YOU CAN DO IT. IT'S NOT HARD. Finally, don't mangle names by shortening them in ways they were not done canonically, unless you have an EXTREMELY good reason. This means you DO NOT shorten "Jounouchi" into "Jou." Don't do it.
- Author's Notes may not include "conversations" with you, your "yami," any of the canon characters, etc. You can like Yu-Gi-Oh as much as you want, but play-acting belongs in RPGs, not on fanfiction archives.
- Stories must be complete, well-written, and thought out. Stories that read like a 5th grader's book report or a movie critic's review are not allowed. Oneshots/shortfics are one thing; you're not obligated to make a long, chaptered story. But Dragonfayth doesn't welcome "flat, boring, drab" stories that just have Action. Action. Action. The End. Be descriptive! Be vivid! Put the reader in the scene-- don't recite it. (In contrast, don't use "purple prose," or excessively flowery language. Give us enough to picture what's happening in our heads, and move on.)
- Stories should have appropriate summaries. Tags like "Azureshipping" and "Seto x Anzu" are unnecessary. This is an Azureshipping archive; the ONLY fics that are appropriate here are ones that include Azureshipping/the Seto x Anzu pairing. Also, summaries should give the reader a reason to read the story-- not tell us exactly what to expect. Rhetorical questions ("Will they fall in love?") tend to be redundant and pointless. Other tags like C&C or R&R or "review plz!" are unnecessary.
- Characters should be as in-character as humanly possible. In other words, it's fine if you have a oneshot where Seto and Anzu are lusting after one another, but if Seto's waxing eloquent as if he's Japan's Shakespeare, then you better have a damn good explanation for it in-story (and no, author's notes DO NOT COUNT). Because this archive is limited to stories that AT LEAST feature the characters of Seto Kaiba and Anzu Mazaki, then we should be able to recognize them and their characters, regardless of who's writing, whether names are named, or whether their appearances are described. Any stories featuring someone grossly out of character will be outright rejected, and future submissions ignored unless the author has made extensive revisions!